23 August, 2012

Sierra Phantom

J.P. Glover died Monday, Jan. 30, 2012 at the Bishop Care Center. He was 85.
Those who knew Glover did not call him by his birth name – most never knew it. He was known as the Sierra Phantom, a nickname earned after living 50 years in the wilderness of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
Glover was born in Orange on June 20, 1926 to Eric and Heidi Glover, who both died when he was a toddler. He endured an unstable childhood, moving between orphanages and foster homes every few years throughout California and Washington. At 17 years old, he lied about his age to join the U.S. Navy with an itch to discover the world. He served as a World War II sharpshooter in Alaska for four years. By the age of 21, the anguish of his childhood and the war drove Glover to choose a life as a lone mountaineer. He set up inconspicuous camps throughout the High Sierra and lived apart from civilization, only visiting small mountain towns every few months to replenish his supplies.

In his mid-70s, Glover moved into an apartment in Bishop, where he quickly became a local legend. He was often spotted sitting outside Erik Schat’s Bakkery and Raymond’s Deli, tying his self-invented glitter flies for fishing.
Glover also served as a mountain and fishing guide, a job he saw as an opportunity to pass along all he had learned in the wilderness to the generations that followed.

Glover will be remembered for his tales of survival in the wild, his ability to make fast friends with anyone willing to lean in and hear those tales, and the philosophy which he lived by – you’re never lonely when you’re surrounded by nature.

2 comments:

  1. In my last year of high school a friend of mine told me about "Willow Camp Ground" just below Parcher's Resort" on the "South Lake" side. He committed suicide before we could go on our trip. In my sadness I went to Willow Camp ground and met the Phantom. Soon I was out of money. The manager at Parcher's offered me a job. Through my 20s I continued to go work for Parchers if they had openings each season. Every time I got a camp site in Willow, the Phantom would show up like clockwork my first night, like some sort of wizard. Over the years we became close. We became pen pals. I've been to almost every secret spot the Phantom had. I use to help him bury his supply caches every summer. We hiked far and wide together. I have more *real gigantic fish stories than most fisherman can say were true. My Dad never was much about camping, so David taught me everything I ever wanted to know and much more.

    I had taken my family to meet him back in 2005. I have a 10 year old and a 12 year old that never got to meet him. But his pictures are on the wall and on the mantle above our fireplace. They love to hear all of his stories and the new ones He and I made together. We just got back from a three week trip to South lake, North lake and Mosquito Flats. After all these years, my kids finally got to see it all, but Phantom wasn't there in body, but he was in spirit!

    I miss you David Glover! It was hard being in our favorite spot without you there to tell the kids stories at the camp fire. Luckily, we got had a whole week before the campfire ban!

    Goodbye my old friend.

    Much Love always,

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS

    I am now 53 years old. My first meeting with David Glover AKA the Phantom was May of 1987.

    ReplyDelete